Sunday, February 17, 2019

Old Tray Gets a Cottage Style Makeover


Today was another snow day in Kansas City. We just got over an ice storm that left everything covered in ice for about a week and now we are getting 5 inches of snow. So while I am cooped up inside I decided to tackle a few small projects that I had wanted to do for a while now. 

One of my projects is to do something with this tray that I got at the thrift store. I did not care for the winter bird scene, although the more I looked at it I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it definitely needed an update. 


I toyed around with the idea of painting it, but I really liked the outer edges of the tray. The brown/gray color stain and distressing was just right but I wanted to do something about that bird scene and really didn't think painting it was something I wanted to do. 
So I remembered that I had this roll of wallpaper in my closet for about the past SEVEN years. 
I have had it so long that I don't quite remember when I got it....and I had never even unrolled it to fully check it out so I was curious. 

After I took it out of the plastic sleeve I was in for a big surprise!!!!

Look at how pretty it is!!!! 
And I let this sit around for SEVEN YEARS!!!! Oopsie! LOL


You guys! This wallpaper is so nice and thick and in perfect condition!
It is also not even a long ROLL of paper, it is several of these large sheets all rolled up...so it is also the perfect size to work with. I just LOVE it!


I turned over the tray and laid the wallpaper on top and cut around the perimeter of the tray with scissors. 

Then I turned the tray back over and placed the wallpaper piece inside the tray and pushed down with my fingernails around the edges of the tray to create a crease, then cut along the crease to get a customized fit. 

Once I had the right size cut out I simply rubbed a glue stick over the perimeter of the base of the tray and across the middle, then simply laid the wallpaper piece on top. The last step was to press around the edges and in the middle to rub out any air bubbles and make sure the wallpaper was sticking to the glue. 



And that's it! The tray now looks totally different. It has a cottage feel and the colors will look great in my bedroom so I plan on putting this on my nightstand. 



So what do you think?




This was a SUPER easy project-perfect for a beginner DIYer. 

There were no tools involved, other than scissors and a glue stick of course, so this is the perfect type of project to tackle if you are beginner DIYer/decorater. 
I will eventually paint that nightstand and give my bedroom a complete makeover, but for now I will add simple updates like this to freshen it up. 
Jennifer





Linking up to these great parties:

DIY ShowOff & ShareThe Dedicated House



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.