Monday, May 16, 2016

One Urn Many Different Looks



Every Spring I always look forward to getting creative with my black urn.
The urn is usually a focal point on my porch so I try to do something different with it each year.

Over the years there have been many different things I have planted...some survived and some didn't, but here are some of my favorite looks for my urn.






Pin It



This was back in 2013 and I went with darker purple tones using various styles of coleus mixed with a potato vine and purple fountain grass of some sort.

I really like how rich this mixture of color looks against a beige house.

I stayed away from "flowery" and went with more foliage and it turned out to be one of my favorite designs.



The following year I was back at the Cape Code house, which is a white house with green shutters, so I chose to plant something bolder with more color that would stand out against a white house.

The lime green an hot pink colors were perfect and they lasted all the way into fall!





I chose coleus for this again, but this time I only used coleus and I loved it!

Funny thing, coleus is supposed to be a partial shade plant but this area gets full sun. As you can see the coleus did't mind it and filled in nicely to create a very colorful focal point for my porch. .....this too is another one of my favorite styles.


Ok, so I love this urn so much that I bought another one for my side yard where I get more shade.

It is a really lush space, and until buying my house I never realized how much color you can get in a shaded area. You just have to know which plants work best for shade.




I filled this urn with pink double impatients. I'm sure almost everyone has heard of impatients, but these are double impatients which look like little baby cabbage roses.



The pop of pink against all the green from the honeysuckle on the fence and hostas is an unexpected splash of color.


I also recently updated this space with these copper lanterns. Don't be afraid of shady spaces...there is a lot you can do with them!

I loved how this turned out and think I will try it again this year!


Lastly, you may remember a few years ago I took a boring cheap dollar store urn and gave it a makeover.

It turned out to be one of my most popular posts.
You guys loved it and so did I!


Pin It



It is amazing what some paint and flowers can do for your patio. Just add a few urns (paint them or leave as they are) and randomly place them on your patio and fill with plants that give height, color, or spill over to add an unexpected elegance to your patio without breaking the bank.

So there you have it. My top favorite urn styles!

If you do not have an urn I hope you are inspired to get one and play around with different looks. You can find them everywhere....dollar stores, Lowes, Home Depot, and even your local nurseries.


Enjoy!





Jennifer




Linking Up to these Great Parties:

PrettyProjectPartyPhotobucketthe stonybrook houseBewitchin' Projects Block Party


http://www.athomewithjemma.com/2016/05/garden-party-2.html?showComment=1464026275230#c131138272395435402

Join Us for Share Your Cup


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.