Friday, January 11, 2013

Cottage Entryway Phase II-Beadboard Wallpaper




Drum roll please! The bead board wallpaper project is underway and going well.

Here is a sneak peek of the room with the first two sheets up.















I am doing this project by myself and learning as I go, and so far here are my concerns thus far:

  • I wasn't sure about how I was going to marry up the seams of the beadboard, but I bumped them up together and they look fne, although for the next set I think I should cut the next section to match the flow of the pattern a little better, but afraid if I do the paper wont have an exact straight edge like it does on its own. Any suggestions on this? Cut or leave alone? 

  • Also, notice I took the paper past the edge of the floor trim. Well.........I did this with the thought the paper might shrink on me, and I could take a knife and cut an even edge across the bottom once I'm done, BUT now I am thinking I should have just bumped it up to the bottom and left it alone.

So, the next two and a half sheets will be applied a little differently, but all in all it has gone quite well. Much easier than I had expected.


I am very glad though that I chose to do this wall first as a beginner versus my small bathroom.


And oh my! Excuse my beat up baseboards! It seems like yesterday that I painted this room (2007) but I guess it has been 5 years AND this is room gets a lot of use...... so there! Those are my excuses for my beat up baseboards! LOL

Here is the view from the front room looking in as you are heading towards the garage.


Keep in mind that once this is up the next step will be to chose the moulding to finish it off.

I am torn between a regular moulding or adding a shelf/ledge type of moulding for additional functionality.

Here are some of my insprations I pulled up from my Pinterest boards:

Ignore that this is a bathroom shot but take a look the chair moulding. I consider this a simple beveled edge style and it would be fairly easy to install along the one wall that I am doing. I really like it and think it is a good choice.


Pinned Image

(Pinterest-BHG.com)




Then there is this moulding. It is thicker and more dramatic. I really like it, but am concerned about how it would look against the other mouldings in the room. The windows have regular mouldings around them and the fact that I have nothing along my baseboards to balance the massive weight of this moulding, I am concerend it may be too much. But I {LOVE} it and can't quit looking at it! LOL

Pinned Image
(Pinterest-Houzz.com)





Then there is this picture which makes my heart flutter! I {LOVE} this one and think its the one I might go with...or at least do something similar where there is a thick flat piece and a ledge to display things.

Pinned Image

(Pinterest-Houzz.com)
So the next steps of this project including installing the finishing touches like moulding and new switch plate covers, and of course caulking and painting (again!).
So what do you think? I would love to get your opinion on which style of moulding I should go with for this room.  


Visit My 1929 Charmer Blog!
UndertheTableandDreaming 
Vintage On A Dime







A Diamond in the Stuff

52 Mantels

http://www.thethriftyhome.com





Made in a Day
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was such a thing as beadboard wallpaper! How cool! I also love the pics you've posted...saving them for reference since I pretty much want to re-do my entire house *yikes*. Visiting from Project Inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    Hi! Found you at That's What Che Said. I see what you mean by the paper lining up and the pattern spacing but from someone who has papered for years I DO NOT recommend cutting the paper. Your edges will be less than satisfactory. However, if you are using a standard wallpaper and not one that is thick - more than say 2mm - you can overlap the edges and keep the pattern going this way. I found a beadboard style wall paper and hung it but it was too thick to overlap. Thank goodness the pattern stayed true.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is looking good! Can't wait to see it done! Makes me want to try some in my house. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the last pic, where they carry it up a bit higher. Would like to do that in our entry/stairway, but I think it will make the small space look smaller. I will keep the bead board wall paper in mind though! How many cuts did you get out of a roll?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room is going to look great when you're done! Love beadboard wallpaper. And my, that last inspiration picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm learning soooooo much from you! I had not heard of this wallpaper. Can you tell me the branch so I can research it? I would want to use it on a CEILING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used this wallpaper in both our master bath and 1 of the kids room.My humble response to youe questions: leave the edges alone, once you paint the wallpaper (even if white) it will fill in the little lines in between the "panels/sheets". Secondly,cut it straight and bump it up to the bottom. Yes, you can cut it later on (when dry), but it might not be a straight edge. I personally like a smaller trim, or smaller shelf looking trim, but you really have to look at it in your space. Good luck. If you want to see both of my beadboard rooms. http://frugalaintcheap.blogspot.com/2012/06/once-upon-bathroom.html ,and http://frugalaintcheap.blogspot.com/2012/12/bedroom-makeoverfit-princessor-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to read your experience with this wallpaper. I am set to start installing the same thing this afternoon! Would you consider sharing this on the Farmhouse Style Blog Hop? www.greeneggsandgoats.com Oh, and I'm visiting from Made in a Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter just mentioned this paper to me... I really want to make that front door entrance wall and she wants to make bead
    board wallpaper go around her living room... thanks for the pictures!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you want to trim the bottom edge (after it is on wall) take a straight edge(ruler,putty knife) and lay it on the papered wall and then use exacto knife (box cutter)to cut the extra paper off. You should have a clean bottom edge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project. I have a roll of beaboard to use. Would luv to do my powder room and molding too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this stuff! Great pics. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.