Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mercury Glass Lamp-Project Complete

I am extremely excited to reveal to you my latest project but first, lets take a walk down memory lane. 
Remember this post from last month where I found a glass lamp at the thrift store? It was in perfect condition and I had envisioned it looking something like one of these pictures.........





Well..............after looking over a gazillion inspirational pictures, ok maybe not "gazillion" but A LOT of pictures, I decided to get-er done! At first I was apprehensive because it was such a nice lamp and in perfect condition with NO chips or scratches and it looked great just the way it was.........however, I knew it had potential to look even BETTER!
So here she is.....my new faux mercury glass lamp:




And here she is on our entry way table with a bunch of fresh bittersweet tied with burlap ribbon to coordinate with the burlap lamp shade.




Here are some close up pictures of the lamp-








And here it is at night with the light on-






I just love the mixture of textures that this lamp provides....you have the shiney but worn mercury glass next to the rustic texture of the burlap shade and bittersweet branches.




I started off this project with a plain glass lamp and used Krylon Looking Glass spray paint to give the lamp a mercury glass finish.
Looking Glass Aerosol Spray Paint 6 Ounces
This paint is amazing! I used it the first time on some glass jars and  you can read about how to apply it here.
In a nut shell, this paint gives a mirror finish once it dries, so on most glass pieces, such as a vase, you would spray this on the INSIDE so that the mirror finish reflects to the outside of the vase.
My lamp was hollow so I was hoping I could paint the inside BUT the cord was permanently fixed so I could not take the lamp apart therefore painting the inside of the lamp was no longer an option and I was afraid if I sprayed the outside that I would not get a mirror like finish, but it turned out great despite my fears.  
Here is a before and after picture:
I added a simple burlap shade that I found at Wal-Mart for $10 bucks, so all together I spent roughly $15 bucks which is a STEAL compared to $50+ in the retail stores. Higher-end lamps like this at Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs run in the $100s so $15 bucks was well spent!
So lets recap....here are the inspiration photos.....
And here is my finished lamp...........
What do you think?
Pin It
Jennifer

Linking up to these great parties:


Centerpiece Wednesdays Button
http://www.craftberrybush.com/2012/11/happy-hour-linky-party-diez-10.html
Grab a Bloom Button

Vintage On A Dime
Blogfest
Made in a Day
The Mandatory Mooch
Adorned From Above
Photobucket
Share Your CreationsMonday2 Make the Scene Monday #48


http://www.craftberrybush.com/2012/11/happy-hour-linky-party-no9.html


House on the Way
DIY Show Off
The Shabby Nest Join me each Sunday for my weekly partyGrab a button!
Positively Splendid
Mixitup
UndertheTableandDreaming The Chicken Chick
Made in a Day

handmade projectsOr so she says

Vintage On A Dime
Nutmeg Place
Grab a Bloom Button

Made in a Day
 Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150