Sunday, December 7, 2014

My First Attempt to Grow Paperwhites for Christmas

 
 
 
If you follow me on Facebook then you know that last month I attended a holiday open house at a local nursery.
While I was there I picked up a few things which you can read about HERE,
and while in the check out line I happened to glance over and saw the bulbs and remembered that this was on my to do list.
 
 
 



The process seems pretty easy, so this year after watching everyone adorn their home with beautiful flowers during the holidays, I decided to give it a try.
 
 
 
 


So I grabbed five bulbs.
 
I put them in this glass bowl. From the pictures I have seen these get pretty tall so I tossed around the idea of putting them in tall glass vases, but in the end I went with a glass bowl so I could see what was going on and really watch them grow.
 
Kind of like a kid with an ant farm! LOL
 
I wanted to watch those babies grow and nosey in on them from time to time.



The bowl I am using is deep enough to get a good base of rocks and water and allow room for the roots to grow.
 


 
I quickly realized I needed more rocks after they started to sprout so I added more randomly throughout the bowl to help hold the bulbs in place.




Right now I have them in my dining room where they get filtered light and I noticed that they like to grow towards the light so I turn them slightly each day to keep them as straight as possible.
 


See the runt of the pack in the lower right corner? LOL
 
For whatever reason he is not jumping for joy like the rest of em'.
 
He's a little behind the group but he IS growing so I think he will be ok.....just a late bloomer.
 
The process is pretty easy at this point-no flowers yet so lets keep our fingers crossed!!!
 
Right now I sit and wait. 
 

 
 
Have you ever tried forcing bulbs during the holidays/winter? Ever tried Paperwhites or Amaryllis?
 
Enjoy your week,
 
 
Jennifer




Linking Up To:

Marvelous Monday Linky PartyThe Chicken ChickBy Stephanie LynnWe Wish You A Merry Christmas from Treasure Box TuesdayLinky PartyYour Whims Wednesday
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.