Thursday, February 21, 2013

DIY Dry Erase Board


Since the first of the year I have been working on organizing our home from top to bottom, room by room. One thing that needed to be addressed was organizing our grocery lists and meal plans. If we can get these better organized then we will hopefully save time grocery shopping AND save some $$$ too, which is always a plus, right?
So this is what fueled my desire to create a dry erase board for the kitchen. I thought we could hang it on the refrigerator and use it for jotting down our grocery list as we run out of things, and I'd like to use it like the central command center where Mr. Chaos and I can leave each other notes about random stuff that needs to be taken care of around the house.
To create your dry erase board you will need a picture frame with the glass. Any size will work but for our refrigerator I chose an 8x11 size frame from the thrift store.
I spray painted it Ivory in a glossy finish. I figured since it was in the kitchen it will probably get dirty at some point so a glossy finish will probably be more durable and clean up easier.
I picked out a piece of scrapbook paper from Hobb Lob or $0.59 cents and cut it to fit the frame. Be sure the color of the paper is light enough so the writing will be visible. (not to self!)
Since I am haging mine on the refrigerator in the kitchen, I glued some magnet strips to the back, then attached three burlap rosettes for some whimsy, and VOILA! Instant dry erase board!




You can write on the glass with an erasable marker. I used these that are wet erase markers that teachers use for the over head projector, but any washable marker should do the job. Just be sure to NOT use a permanent marker!  (note to self #2!)












Pin It






So all in all I spent about $2.50 to $3 bucks on this project and I absolutely LOVE it! I think this piece will be functional AND pretty, and that makes me VERY happy!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Jennifer
Linking Up to These Great Parties:

 




Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
The Shabby Nest


Photobucket
twelveOeight
Mod Vintage Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia


Mixitup
The Chicken Chick
Creative Cain Cabin

House on the Way

Life on Lakeshore Drive



Don't miss my weekly Thursday linky party!!
Vintage On A Dime
A Diamond in the Stuff{Primp}
Photobucket
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
UndertheTableandDreaming Too Much Time On My Hands

22 comments:

  1. What a great project! So elegant looking and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I did something similar and love it too!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great ~ thinking you might see a similar post on my blog too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I had a lot of fun making this and can't wait to make some as Christmas gifts this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this a lot! And I could definitely use one in my house! Thanks for sharing - I'm stopping over from Delightful Order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable, and it looks easy to do...I just might have to make one of these very soon! Thanks for sharing this! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this idea, but I have to ask, what are the magnets for? Looks like it's hung on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was hung oun our refrigerator. I use it in the kitchen as a command center to keep the grocery list and other notes/appointments jotted down and organized. You could hang it on the wall if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that Jennifer, AND Ive been wanting one for my house (that is also magnetic) and I think I know what I need to do now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very creative. Love this idea. Feel free to link this project onto my Sunday Party. http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorbs! That is all, just adorbs:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect project and it turned out so cute:) Thanks for sharing at the Cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing at my party! Love it!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute, cute, cute idea!
    Homa style is having an Inspire Me link party that just started!
    I would love it if you linked up:)
    Here's the link
    http://homastyle.com/wp/2013/02/27/inspire-me-link-party/

    I do my best to help market all the inspiring projects through my social media sites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to have you at my party and sharing this cute DIY idea.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever!
    I like the fabric you chose for your dry erase and your flowers too.

    via Creative Cain Cabin,
    so nice to meet you!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! I love this one especially that love planning and writing down notes! Thanks for linking this up ion twelveOeight's party

    misselayneousthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Thanks for shaing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! The fabric is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with us at A Bouquet of Talent. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.