Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ballard Inspired Seagrass Hurricanes



Hello everyone!
I hope you  are enjoying a week of beautiful Spring weather. Now that the snow is FINALLY outta here I am looking forward to enjoying the rest of what Spring has to offer.
 
 
Because we are already in May, I put away all the early Spring decor and am getting ready to break out all of my Summer pieces and am so happy today to be able to share with you these Ballard Designs inspired seagrass candle holders. 


Seagrass Candle Holders

Pin It
 
I fell in love with them while I was browsing through my latest issue of the Ballard Designs catalog looking for Summer decor ideas.

They are part of the Southern Living collection and range from $45-$75 dollars EACH.
 
 
 
Southern Living Seagrass Hurricane
 
 
I wanted them badly but I did not want to pay the price. ...Hey, I'm a thrifty chick, what can I say!
 
 
 
So I did what thrifty chicks do and I decided to make my own seagrass hurricanes/vases and here is how I did it:
 
 
First gather your main supplies which are a seagrass place mat and plain glass vase/candle holder.
 
 
 I found a set of four seagrass place mats at the thrift store for about $2 bucks. They are fairly easy to find as you can get them almost anywhere....Big Lots, Hob Lob, WM, etc.
 
Same with the glass cylinders. The dollar stores and WM carry these for fairly cheap as well as the thrift stores.



 

 
 
Now, just cut the place mat into strips that are long enough to wrap around your glass vase.
 
 


 
Then just hot glue the strip of seagrass place mat around the vase so that it is nice and secure.
 
 

 





 Your finished product will look something like this...










 
 
 



I filled my vase with the last of my tulips for the season, and the other piece I wrapped with the seagrass place mat was a cylindrical candle I already had on hand.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I just love these vases.
 
They are SO versatile and can be used ANYWHERE in your home.
 
 
Here I have them displayed with some seashells and a dried hydrangea from the yard.
 
 
 
What a great way to "Spring into Summer"! :)
 
 



Pin It
 
 

 
And here they are again with the white tulips on my foyer table displayed on a tray that I will tell you more about later next week.  (hint hint)
 
 
 
 Pin It
 
 
So there ya have it.
 
An easy and affordable way to Spring into Summer!
 
....And you can find more seagrass decore ideas HERE and HERE.
 
 
 
Have a wonderful day and enjoy the Spring weather!
 
It will be hot before we know it!
 
 
Jennifer




 
 
 
 


Embracing Change



Wednesdays @ 7pm CST:From My Front Porch To YoursThe Weekly Creative Link Party Banner

French Country Cottage2013 Shab Friday logoPhotobucket



Photobucket
 
livelaughlinky 250x250Made in a DayShine on Friday Link PartyThe Shabby NestChic on a Shoestring Decoratingcreativetuesdaybutton
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia


”If

 Adorned From Above Blog Hop


Mostly Homemade Mom




Love of Family and Home

From The Farm Blog HopDollar Tree Party Button Summer 2013 300X 2

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great idea! Fantastic job ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart, I'm so glad I found your blog. Love the sea grass look better than wicker even, the texture is more appealing to me. I have got to go find some sea grass place mats somewhere and make those. Love that you used different sized glass vases for this also, gives it a nicer look, to me anyway. I've got a phobia about different I guess. Love how it looks on your tray. So glad you shared this. Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever are you!!! Never would have thought of that! The hurricanes look incredible, I have to try this! Thanks!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool! Nice job! They look high end to me! I am a thrifty girl and just love creating my own versions of things I see in catalogs. Ballard Designs and Restoration Hardware are my favorite places to look for inspiration. My pocket book just does not let me purchase the things I see and love, so I have to make 'em myself! Cute Cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute and clever! I love Ballard Designs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so smort idea!well done!loked amazing
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing project!Loooove this idea!Thanks for sharing tutorial!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to try this out and just included it in my Friday Favorites round-up today :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! A new Linking Party begins THIS Saturday over at Thet2women.com and we would love if you would link this up there on Sat! Thanks! Here's the link:
    http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.