Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dollar Store Urn Makeover

 
 
 
Sssshheeewww! Things are getting hot here in Kansas City lately!
 
Within a week we went from rain and temps in the upper 70s to dry windy weather in the 90s! 
 
Needless to say it is very humid right now, but I am loving every bit of Summer!
 
For those of you who follow me on G+, you may remember seeing these urns I found at the Dolla' Store for a mere $8 bucks.
 
Yes, $8 bucks!
 
 
 
Keep in mind they ARE plastic AND very boring beige, BUT I have plans turn this into something beautiful so in the cart she went.  
 

 
 
 
 ....and after a few coats of my favorite Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint,
 
 
 
 
she now adorns a pretty pink Hydrangea on my patio.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I just love this spray paint. It is an "everything" spray paint so it is good on wood, metal, AND plastic.
 
If you have never use it, I highly recommend trying it.
 
This paint gives off a blackish-brown color with just a little bit of sparkle.
 
And when you paint something plastic like this be sure to give it plenty of time to dry.
 
 I would allow a long afternoon or even over night if you can, just to be sure the paint has dried completely.
 
 
Here is a closer picture of the urn after it was painted.  
 
 
 
Because the urn was plastic, I was worried about it being cheap and not holding up, but I added a layer of small river rocks to the bottom of the urn to give it some weight, then once I added the potting soil and plant it filled out nicely and is very sturdy.
 
 
 
 
My backyard is partly sunny so the hydrangea made a nice addition to the patio and it will bloom all summer.
 
 
 
 
And there she is.
An $8 dollar urn that many would pass up just needed a color makeover and a pretty plant to freshen  it up.
 
Pin It 
 
 
 
I just love affordable makeovers like this and I plan on going to get another urn so I can put one on either side of our garage door.  
 
The tip here is to shop the cheaper stores for pieces with the right SHAPE and FORM of your desired look,
 
keeping in mind that ANYTHING can be painted and embellished.
 
So why pay more when you can get the look for less!?!?
 
Have a wonderful week!
 
 
 
Jennifer
 
 
 
 
 
 
Linking Up To These Great Parties:
 
 


Home{work} WednesdayYour Whims WednesdayThrifty Homemaking ButtonSouthern Lovely52 MantelsDomestically SpeakingEmbracing Change StoneGablePhotobucketImparting GraceMade in a DayFrench Country Cottagelivelaughlinky 250x250Liz Marie BlogShabbilicious FridayThe Shabby Nest<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingBy Stephanie Lynnmop it up mondays
Evolution of StyleThe Dedicated HouseMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaProject Inspire{d} Button NewInspiring Creative Moments squareMod Vintage Lifeoutdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.