Sunday, April 13, 2014

DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Tuscan Vase

 
Pottery Barn Knock Off
 
Pin It 
I have been eyeballing these Tuscan, old world style, vases and urns from Pottery Barn for a while now.
 
I love the mix of the crisp white pottery mixed with the aged and worn look.
 
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tuscan-urns-cachepot-white/?pkey=call-home-accents&cm_src=all-home-accents||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
(Pottery Barn)
 
...and check out these urns!
All I can say is I love these!
 
They are gorgeous and look great with ferns, boxwood, candles, or just sitting empty.
 
Tuscan Urns & Cachepot
 
These Tuscan style pieces are full of interest and character that I wanted to add to my home, but I wanted to do it in MY thrifty chick fashion.
 
And let me tell you, it must have been meant to be because one day, while shopping HD, I stumbled across this specialty paint that was on sale for a steal, and the rest was history!
 
 


So to begin this project you will need to start with a ceramic vase.
Don't stress on trying to find one of any particular color because we are going to paint it.

I chose a vase I had from the thrift store that was a dark brown and red color.
 
 
Then you will need to get some of this amazing paint by Martha Stewart.
 
Its called Terra Cotta paint specialty finish, and I got it the color "Gravel" since I wanted a gray tone used for my aging.
 

The paint will be thick like this picture below, and is similar to a concrete mixture.



So lets get started!

Make sure your vase/pottery is painted and completely dry,
I used a satin white spray paint with paint and primer in one.


You can always use an ivory or crackle paint to add even more of an aged look to your piece too.


Now take a sponge brush and apply a liberal amount of your Terra Cotta paint.
 
Start by identifying the space where you want your aging to END and then from this point start painting on the paint in a downward  motion towards the bottom.

 
 
Then start moving around the vase and applying the paint in a downward motion until you have gone completely around the vase.
 



Then let it dry.
 
I found that this paint dries fairly quickly.....in less than an hour.
 
 
Here you see my vase with one coat of paint as it is drying.
 
Notice, you can still see through it in spots and my line between the regular part of the vase and the aging is faint and undefined.
 




At first I thought I would like it like this and then I decided to apply a second coat of the paint for a thicker look, and I am glad I did!
 



See the thickness now?
 
To get a thicker coat and to finish the aging process, just take a liberal amount on your brush and apply it RANDOMLY on the vase in the spots that you think need to be covered, where aging would typically take place.



 
 
 
 
Then let the paint completely dry overnight before using it.
(You do NOT want the Terra Cota paint to get on your regular furniture).
 
And Voila!
 
You now have aged pottery!
 
 
Pin It
 
 
 Here is a side by side comparison:


I LOVE this paint and how it allows you to add that Tuscan/aged look to virtually anything...and it comes in more colors too!

I will be trying this paint on some old flower pots later this Spring too, so check back for even more inspiration.


Jennifer

That DIY PartyTiticrafty-Bewitch-me-LinkParty-400x4001
 
 The Dedicated House
The Chicken ChickShowStopperSaturday2Sunday Best Feature ImageIn and out of the kitchen link partyInspire Me Monday 600Linky PartyThe Scoop4 You With Love
 
livelaughlinky 250x250<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>The Shabby NestBy Stephanie LynnIn and Out of the Kitchen Link PartyThe-Casual-Craftlete
The DIY'ers />Weekly Linky PartySavvy Southern StyleGrace at HomeLove Bakes Good CakesThe Chicken ChickLinky PartyWhimsy Wednesday Link PartyTreasure Box Tuesday 20Saturday Party Banner Saturday ShowLicious Craft and Recipe Party LIVE! Refunk My Junk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.