Friday, January 25, 2013

Easy Bathroom Update

Hello everyone! I have had my latest project on my to-do list for quite some time but it always got pushed to the back burner because I thought it was a difficult project. Boy was I wrong!
 
 You see, I have been a home owner since 2006 and have always thought that changing out the toilet seat was difficult and everytime I want to the hardware store to THINK about buying a new one there were too many choices and it looked so complicated so I shyed away from it and never did it....until NOW!
 
Before I go any further, lets educate ourselves about this topic first.
 
Toilet seats. Yes, they make them. Yes we need them. But did you know that there are only two different sizes?
 
Round and elongated. That's it!!! Who knew??!!!


 
Now, what is so confusing is that the hardware store has a hundred different styles and shapes displayed but really, its pretty easy. Round or elongated and white or off white. (unless you want something unusual) 
 
The other thing to consider, which some people might overlook, is whether or not you want a plastic lid or a wooden lid.
 
I chose a wooden lid so I can put it down and actually sit on it or stand on it to clean. If you have a plastic lid you will probably not be able to do that without bending the lid.
 
The other great thing about my purchase was that it was made in the USA.
 
 
 
 
And it came with all of the hardware and instructions.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The installation was very simple:
 
 
 
Unscrew the bolts from under the backside of the toiled and remove the old seat. You may need pliers if yours has been on there a while.
 
Then simply insert the new screws into the existing holes, like so.

 
Screw on the fasteners until you get them as tight as you can.
(no tools needed-yay!)

 
Then set the seat on top of the toilet bowl and align the caps with the tops of the screws.
 
 
Then, do just as the arrows instruct, slide the fastener into the lock position to secure the seat to the toilet.....and VOILA! You have a nice new, clean and shiny toilet seat!
 
This one small change only cost me about $20 bucks roughly and took about 10 minutes to install and it made a BIG impact on the overall look of the bathroom.
 
Here is my old seat in comparison to the new one. Ugh! It was old and cracked and ready for the dumpster! If I had known it was so easy to change it out I would have done this a long time ago!
 
 
Ah, much better now.
 
 


 

So if you are in the process of updating your bathroom, just remember that its all in the DETAILS! A new toilet seat and some new fixtures are all you need to spruce up your space and make a big impact!!!! ...and DO NOT overlook the toilet like I did! If it needs to be changed out, then do it! You will be glad you did!
 
 
Now, on to the rest of my to-do list! :)
 
 
Jennifer
 
 
 
Linking Up to These Great Parties: 
 

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



Grab a button!
The Chicken Chick


DIY Show Off

Creative Cain Cabin
Mod Vintage Life
House on the Way

{Primp}





Vintage On A Dime

http://www.thethriftyhome.com


http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/
PhotobucketThe Shabby Nest

12 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I love this post! You are sooooo right about how easy these things are to change and I am betting many of us could use a replacement(or two!) in our own homes. So worth the $20 for a nice,fresh, and clean seat. Thanks for posting...and now I am off to Lowe' s to do a little seat shopping of my own! :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a toilet seat like that. I like how easy it comes off to clean!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know their were only two kinds! I do know that the one I have is plastic. Going for wood next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got a new toilet seat soon after we moved into our current home and I was so glad that we had. The grunge that can collect at the screws can be ugly. that's one way that you can be sure that your bathroom is really clean. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Makes me want to go change mine...by the way I found your blog from mygirlishwhims.com. I just became a follower too!!!
    restorationbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea- and so simple and affordable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how we sometimes think things will be so difficult and then they turn out to be easy! Feels good to tackle those projects finally!
    Thanks for linking up and sharing this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I can't even tell you how much I hate working on toilets - they make me crazy! :)
    Would love if you came and linked up with us at the Humble Brag. We give away free ad space every week!
    http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-18/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to do this as well! Thanks for posting this, I wouldn't have thought it was that easy either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh! I so need to do this as well. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first time I switched out a toilet seat...I was scared and then could not believe I waited so long because it was so easy! It is amazing what a new toilet seat can do for a room!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.