Monday, December 24, 2012

Turducken

For the past three or four years my cousins have hosted our annual Christmas dinner on my Dad's side of the family, and instead of the traditional turkey and ham dinner we normally serve, that they wanted to do something a little different. So this year we are having a Turducken.
A WHAT? you might ask. LOL
That's ok.....most Americans have not heard of a Turducken.
It is simple though...a Turducken is a chicken, stuff inside of a duck, which together are stuffed inside of a turkey, thus the name "Tur-duck-en".
At first we were skeptical, but we ordered it from a local butcher so it was prepared correctly, then all we had to do was heat it up. And another good thing about doing it this way is that the stuffing is also stuffed inside so you have all of your meats and stuffing kocked out in one dish.
Here is a picture I pulled off the internet of a traditional Turducken being served. See how everything is stuffed inside of that turkey?

I am not a fan of duck, and I prefer a traditional turkey meal on the Holidays, so for those of us who are like me, we can eat the turkey, and for others in my family who are more adventurous and like to try new things, the duck and chicken make a nice meal too.
Of course we serve other traditional sides with this too like mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, corn, pumpkin pie, etc.
Of course like everything else there are variations to the traditional Turducken shown above that include a cajun flair, but I have yet to try those versions.
So if your family is getting a little bored with the traditional turkey meal this holiday season, I highly recomment trying a Turducken...esp if you order it from a grocier or butcher like we do!


Have a very Merry Christmas and I hope you find yourself surrounded by lots of food, laugther, and love!

P.S. This would be great to serve for a New Years day meal too! :)

Jennifer


Linking up to:


















4 comments:

  1. My hubby wants to try one of these so badly! You will have to let me know how you like it! Merry Christmas, sweet friend!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing. Wish we didn't have to order one from New Orleans, we live in California, and it costs as much to ship it, as the cost of the Turducken. Oh well, well worth it tho. Blessings Paula Lusk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun, Jennifer! I'd actually done a bit of research on this dish for one of my books and was surprised to see your heading. Not an easy dish to make! I never thought of ordering it already done up! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy - Yum - Yum! What a fun adventurous family you have!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.