Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Entry Table

 


 
 
The theme I went with this year was woodland/natural theme, with white, green, and silver as the color pallet.  
 
 
 
 
 
Of course I am a thrifty chick with a capital "T" so I must tell you that EVERYTHING in this display is a thrifted or FREE find, except for the table itself, the white candle holder behind the lamp, the plate easel, and the lamp shade. Those four things are the only things I paid full retail for. The rest of this display was either free or thrifted.
 
 

For starters, I scored this cute plate with a pine branch and pine cones from the thrift store back in the Fall just as I was beginning to think about the holidays. During that time I was leaning towards this theme and I had started keeping my eye open for things I could use for my display and this plate really helps set off the overall theme.
 
The pine cone topiary is another thrifted find. I was going to actually make one but when I found this for so cheap I couldn't resist.


 
 
 
 
I used a basic display easel to display the plate. If you have never used a display easel I HIGHLY recommend getting one. They are fabulous for displaying pictures, mirrors, and plates, and I can't live without mine!
 
 
 
 
 
Introducing Hootie. This guy was U.G.L.Y. and only cost me $1 at the thrift store, but with a couple coats of glossy white spray paint he is now the perfect snow owl for my display.  Every winter woodland needs a cute snow owl!
 
(see? I told you it was ugly......terracotta with green and brown eyes. hideous!) 
 



 
Here is Hootie in the daylight next to my DIY mercury glass lamp and glass Christmas tree.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
The white frame was a thrift store find from this summer. You can see the before and after transformation of it HERE.  I felt the center of the display needed something with height to offset the tall branches in the centerpiece, and this frame's ornate design and white color was perfect for the job.
 

As for the centerpiece, this urn was, of course, a thrifted find, and I just added some floral foam, moss, and two branches from the yard that I painted white. Then I hung small silver and gold ornaments from them for a nice display.

 
 
 
On the bottom shelf, left to right is one of the two chicken wire baskets I posted about HERE. I used one of the baskets on the bottom shelf to display a collection of blinged out ornaments, and the other to display a different collection you can read about. The wire baskets are VERY versatile and core pieces that use throughout our home.
 




 
 
Then of course I repeated the same theme below on the bottom shelf with another white urn that holds three moss covered orbs that I made myself last Spring.
 
 
Here is a closer look of the blinged out ornaments. I {LOVE} how these look against the rusty wire basket.  ....and yes, I got ALL of these oraments from the thrift store! These disco ball ornaments were from Dillards and were only $1.99 new in the box!




And believe it or not, I was on a mission to work with the box of pine cones my neighbor so graciously let me have, but then while shopping recently I found a pine cone pillar candle holder for at the thrift store for about $3 bucks and it matched the pine cone topiary I found at the same shop a few weeks earlier, so I couldn't resist and had to get it.
 
The pine cones tone down all the bling from the ornaments and mercury glass.
 
Speaking of mercury glass, ALL of the mercury glass pieces are pieces I have made, and you can read HERE about my mercury glass technique and how I made the jar with the bling on top. Its a fun project!

 
 
Then of course last but not least I need to mention the fresh greenery I got for FREE. I placed it randomly throughout the display to add a natural touch. You can read my post HERE to find out how YOU too can get fresh greenery for free!


 



And there ya have it! My woodland/Christmas/entry way table.
I am pleased with how it turned out....esp since it was so affordable.
 
The trick to achieving a look like this is layering with different textures, heights, and colors to achieve your overall look. I also mixed outdoor elements such as the branches, pine cones, and fresh greenery, with harder, shiny modern elements like the ornaments and mercury glass.

Pin It

 
So now that this is done, its onto the mantel! LOL
 
 
Have a wonderful first week of December!
 
Jennifer
 
 
Linking Up to These Great Parties:
 
 
 
Shabbilicious-Friday Christmas



UndertheTableandDreaming
 
 

 

 

The Chicken ChickSavvy Southern Style

{nifty button}Glitter, Glue & Paint

12 comments:

  1. found you over at Savvy Southern Style...love your winter vignette - especially that owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be a thrifting queen! Love your entry table with the snow owl (owls are one of my favorite things) and your handmade "mercury" glass. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is gorgeous, I really like Hootie and your awesome lamp!

    xoxo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I was happy to find the owl too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so pretty!! Thank you for sharing! I am now officially on the hunt for an owl too! I am not sure if you have seen the owls for sale right now at anthropologie, but they are running almost $100!! Sweet find! I am your newest follower and found you from the This Gal Cooks link up party! I'm new to blogging and would love a follow back! Looking forward to your next post!!
    ~Amanda
    www.thesunshinetoker.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new follower... you left a comment on The Sunshine Toker's blog about being thrifty... so I had to come and check you out and I am so glad I did!!! Awesome blog, love you style and your Christmas decor. Can't wait to see what you come up with next! Make it a great week... jules

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great! i love using pinecones in winter for a sort of all season look (take a look at my dining room tablescape i did with my super cheap pinecone plates, if you're interested). and great eye on that before owl, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A woman after my own heart. You breathed new life into that cute owl...I love that you saw its potential. What a lovely display!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed looking at your thrifty finds and how you put them all together. You have a "good eye". Happy thrifting...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! And I love your thrift store finds! I have to stop myself from spending way too much on Christmas decor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.