Monday, April 1, 2013

Before & After-Toile Tray

Hello everyone! I hope you had a great Easter!
I was going to share this with you before the holiday but I was too preoccupied with Easter projects. Now that it is behind us, its time to show you some of the other projects I have been working on.
One day while in a thrift store I spotted this old toile tray. It was large and had a really cool shape, but it was a bit rusty and crusty and had been neglected for quite some time, but I immediately knew I HAD to have it.

I had several different ideas of what to do with it so I brought it home, gave it a light sanding to remove some of the little rusty spots and and then I spray painted it with a glossy black rustoleum spray paint.

And took this old crusty, rusty tray from this:









To this:

















Now Mr. Crusty-n-Rusty has a purpose and sits high up on top of the kitchen cabinets as a focal point. You know, on top of the cabinets in the #hardestplacetodecorate spot!


So far this little vignette is coming together quite nicely and I love how this tray looks with the rest of the accessories I added.  This is such a versatile piece and I was originally torn between a couple different colors and finally settled on painting it black, and I love it.


I am nowhere near done with this part of the kitchen but it is at least a start.


I am still trying to finish our master bedroom makeover, the mudroom at the other house, and continue with little spots like this throughout the rest of the house all before the gardening and landscaping projects begin.


I love easy transformations like this. All it takes sometimes is some elbow grease and a few bucks to turn something that was once destined for the trash into a piece of decor that makes a statement.


Here is the

Before & After 













So what do you think? Do you think black was the right color?




Linking Up To These Great Parties: 


twelveOeightMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbiacreativetuesdaybutton
House on the Way
The Chicken Chick
Creative Cain Cabin

Vintage On A Dime


Adorned From AboveDomestically Speaking

_Photobucket
Creations by Kara

Tickled Pink Linky Party
Home


Photobucket
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Jennifer RizzoThe Shabby Nest


31 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I would be tempted to put a monogram on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tray is a great focal point now that it is black. Love it with the lemons. I am not very good at creating vignettes so I will have to check out your other posts. Thanks for the inspiration. I found you at Coastal Charm's party.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Traci and Connie.

    And that is a GREAT idea Connie! I love monograms and this is the perfect size to add one! Thanks for your suggestion. :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, I think the dark color was the perfect choice to make your tray more sophisticated!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, Jennifer! I love the shape of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great transformation, Jennifer! I thought at first you had painted it with chalkboard paint & would write a message on it; but I don't think it needs any of that because of the great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, my! Your tray looks great! And I love the vignette you've created too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Black was a great choice! It looks new :)
    I'm visiting you today from twelveOeight. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Medicine Cabinet Makeover

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome transformation! I would love for you to link this up to our new linky party, Give Me The Goods Monday! I am hosting with 4 other bloggers, 1 party but your links will show up on all 5 blogs!
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-party-2.html
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tray...I love numbers on things..this would be adorable with your favorite number in white on it. Looks good like it is, too. Great job.
    Over from Home away from Home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I do think black is the right color. It works really well with the color of the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! Black is a fabulous choice, and I love it with your flour and sugar canisters, so pretty :)

    xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do collect the rusty, crusty tole trays, but if they are just too damaged, black is my favorite go-to color for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice .... Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it looks beautiful! My second choice would have been yellow. Black definitely goes with all seasons though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the black! It's the perfect pop of color. We are finishing our basement so I have alot of decorating ahead of me. Too much fun! lol! Busy in the garden with Spring clean up. Oh, the fun never ends!
      hugs,
      Jann

      Delete
  16. What a huge difference the black is just perfect against the vignette going on. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your trey make over! It would make a great chalk board too. Thanx for partying!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the shape of this tray... great eye. And it needed paint... black is perfect! (Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d} this week!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great eye! Loving the shape and color! Happy Thursday from the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful! I would love for you to link up at my Thrift Store Bargains!

    Just follow the link.....http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/03/thrift-store-bargains_26.html.

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! You chose the perfect color, it shows off the shape of the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you did with this - the black is perfect. Found you through Say D'day Saturday and I'm now following. Would love for you to stop by on Monday and share this at the Creative Corner Hop.
    Holly
    Holly's Stamping Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the size and shape of the tray. It looks fabulous painted. I love the whole vignette.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great transformation! Isn't it funny how usually it's the simple projects that really make all the difference. Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  25. The after is so much better. Good eye to be able to seen the potential of the tray. I also did a tray transformation. You can read about it at my blog here: http://controllingcraziness.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-new-look-for-old-platter.html
    Thanks for sharing. Found your post from Make it Pretty Monday link party

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't you just love what spray paint can do! I'm featuring your tray in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love how it turned out! I am such a fan of re purposing items. :) Thanks for linking up this past week at Crafty Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's an awesome transformation! The tray looks great black :) Autumn greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  29. You've just convinced me that I should tackle some toile trays I have - having been reluctant to for a while - love how yours turned out - I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great RESCUE!!! : ) thanks for sharing! Awesome JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.