Wednesday, February 5, 2014

DIY Wall Art

 
Hey everyone! I have a unique piece of wall art for you today.
 
This is an easy DIY project that you can create on a budget and you can also get as creative as you want with different colored stain and different sizes of wood and iron.
 
 
 
Here is my wall art that I made for about $10 bucks.
(woot woot!) 
 
  
Wrought Iron Wall Art
 
 Pin It
 The whole thing started with this black wrought iron scroll work that I found at the thrift store a long time ago and I knew I wanted to use it but wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it so I held onto it waiting for the right moment to come along.
 
 
 
 
  
Then I saw these wood plaques in a post from The Blissful Bee I knew I wanted to create something similar for the empty wall in my front room at the Cape Cod, and I remembered that I had this wrought iron piece so now all I needed now was some wood to recreate it.
 
 ParentsLivingRoom
 
 
When I went to HD to look for wood I found these sheets of  plywood that was already cut in two foot sections which was perfect for my project and eliminated the need for tools
(which I didn't have). Score!
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
So now all I needed to do was stain my wood and attach the iron piece.
 
For the stain I actually mixed two colors.
I used half Jacobean and half Walnut.
 
I had both of these stains left over from previous
wine crates I made over, which you can read about HERE and HERE, so I thought I would try mixing them to get the medium brown type of shade I was aiming for and it worked!
 
 

 
I brushed in on and let it dry over night.
 
 
 
 
Then took a shop rag and dipped it into the darker stain and randomly rubbed it on to darken it up a bit.
 




After that dried then its time to measure and center the iron piece onto the wood.

 
 
I tried several ways to attach the iron piece to the wood, and wouldn't you know hot glue worked the best.

See, sometimes the old tried and true methods are the best.
 
Tada!
 
Here is my new wall art.
 

 
 
And here it is hanging up it its new home.
 
 
 

 

 
 

 
 Pin It
This would look great in a set of two, three, or four, like the set from the Blissful Bee, but for my wall one wall hanging was enough.
 
 If I find more deals on these wrought iron pieces I may make a set of three and move them to a wall in the master bedroom, but for now one was just right for what I needed.
 
So the next time you see a cool piece of iron scroll work, don't pass it up! You can always mount it on a piece of wood and create new wall art!
 
Jennifer




Linking Up To:

http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/


Treasure Hunt Thursday52 MantelsPrettyThingsbirdsonwireInspire Me PleaseThe Shabby Nest150x150 SSS Strut Your Stuff Button

New Curb Alert! Trash Day Link Party
 Imparting GraceMade in a DaySunday                          is the day to shareTitiCrafty by CamilaCOMMondaycopy1 (1)Sunday Best PartyThe Chicken ChickDream a Little BiggerBy Stephanie LynnThe Dedicated Househome stories a to z link partyLinky PartyThree Mango SeedsMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThe ScoopHouse on the WayWhat did you makelivelaughlinky 250x250http://www.thethriftyhome.comYour Whims Wednesdayhh2142014
Savvy Southern Style
Glitter, Glue & PaintTip_Me_Tuesday_Button_TipJunkie-jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.